Old Car Facts
From decades of experience of working under, in and on top of old cars, we at Zakira’s have come up with the following consistent observations:
- Old cars are cool but they’re also, well, old.
- Old cars often leak. They leaked when new; they leak now. It just is.
- Old cars are typically not driven much, which often causes problems down the line.
- Existing parts on old cars are tired, worn and often in need of repair or replacement.
- Replacement parts for old cars are often either difficult to find, available only from Lower Botswana – or simply unavailable.
- Available replacement parts are often of poor quality. Sometimes you can tell; sometimes you just can’t.
- Old car problems are often very difficult to diagnose. Sometimes the diagnosis takes far longer than the repair. Again, it just is.
- Old cars are very often difficult to repair. For example, removing an old fastener can take 10 seconds – or it can take well over an hour. Just depends.
- Old cars almost always have things wrong with them other than those prompting a visit to a repair facility.
- Repairs on old cars almost always uncover unanticipated challenges, leading to unanticipated costs and delays. Snags...Will...Happen. Nature of the beast!
- It is not unheard of that repairs to an old car exceed the value of the car to begin with. Definitely something to consider.
- An old car’s owner typically has little idea of what’s been done to the car throughout its lifespan, unless he or she owned the car from new – and even then, things may have been done and forgotten about that will affect the requested repair.
Servicing an old car is definitely NOT like servicing a new car!!